Thursday, May 30, 2013

Giga Pudding - DIY giant flan

I gotta admit that I'm a HUGE fan of flan, so when I saw the Giga Pudding commercial I wanted to try it for myself!

(If you've never heard of "Giga Pudding", watch the video below!)



We don't have the official Giga Pudding kit here and I didn't want to spend big bucks on buying a kit online, so I tried making it by myself (aka winging it)!

The kit itself comes with a bucket, giant spoon, and flan mix.

What I used instead were:
  • A sand bucket (which was easy to find since it's the summer time!)
  • 2 boxes of flan mix (or more depending on how much you want to make)
  • Spray oil
  • Optional - Sand shovel
DIY Giant Flan Materials 

For this project, I used 2 boxes of Goya Spanish-styled flan since my bucket fit about 8 cups and I didn't want to make too much.

Goya Flan

I sprayed the inside of the bucket with oil to make it easier for the flan to come out when the time came to flip it over.

Basically, I followed the recipe written on the box.  The boxes came with the caramel topping, so I put that on the bottom of the bucket.  This particular type is made on the stove, so I followed the directions and poured it into the bucket afterwards.  At first, I was worried about the bucket melting since the flan mixture was so hot, but luckily the plastic was thick enough and nothing happened.  Just keep the plastic thickness in mind when buying your bucket (just to be safe)!

Spray the bucket and insert caramel

Cook the flan

Cover cooked flan

I covered the bucket and put it in the fridge until it's firm.  My mom let me know that it was ready at around 6 hours of being in the fridge, but we waited until lunch the next day to eat it.

Taking it out of the bucket was probably the most nerve-wracking part.  I've seen plenty of real Giga Pudding fails, so I was prepared for failure.

To take the pudding out , I placed a plate on the top of the bucket, and flipped both the plate and the bucket over.

It took some time/wiggling/smacking to get the pudding out, but it finally came out! :)

Unveiled flan!

Happy Flan

We even took a video of it, so watch the unveiling below!



Overall, great experience, fun, and great for parties, get-togethers, or just because!  If you try it, let me know how it goes!

0 comments:

Post a Comment